Tuesday, November 30, 2004

Gord Downie, Smarmy folks and hot dogs

There I was, sitting at home on a Sunday afternoon watching TV, when I got a call from my good friend Chris. Some corporate flesh peddlar had given him two tickets to the Tragically Hip concert going on that night, as a thank you for all the buisiness he had been doing with them lately. Chris and his girlfriend had had a long day and decided they didn't want to go, hence would I like the tickets? Score!! I called up V.T. and we were off to the races!

I'd never seen the Hip in concert before and I wasn't disappointed. Gord Downie was entertainingly goofy on stage for a good part of the show, going off on tangents in the middle of songs and dancing spastically. The Hip were in much better form than their apparently lacklustre performance at the Grey Cup a few weeks ago.

I've come to the conclusion that I prefer being in the company of witty, sarcastic people. Barring that, I like being around cynical, grumpy people. A good proportion of the workforce on our project are contractors. Many of these people exhibit the kind of over the top, forced joviality normally demonstrated by used car salesmen and game show hosts. People like this make me uneasy. Maybe I'm just a freak, but I find it difficult to trust someone who always acts that smarmy. There's just something not...quite...honest about it. It's my belief that if you want to know who someone really is, either get them very drunk or very angry. Luckily, there are a few "real" people around here who display the full range of human emotions. These are the people I try and spend time with.

Yesterday I discovered an essay by Christopher Walken about his love of eating hot dogs. Chris Walken is one hillarious, intense, cool dude. Anyone who would threaten to smash your brains in with a fucking bat if you disagree with his love of hot dogs is someone whom I wanna hang around.

1 Comments:

At 3:25 PM, Blogger Foot said...

Hmmmm, apparently I jumped the gun on the hot dog essay. By the looks of it, the orignial Onion article was simply pretending to be a column written by Christopher Walken. That'll teach me for believing everything I read on the internet.

Heh heh, paying for a facial. Maybe I could make some extra money on the side offering my services to the ladies of the Capital Region. All I gotta do now is come up with a plausable explanation for my parents of why I'm suddenly wearing a mink coat and driving around in a brand new, pimped out, Cadillac "Snoop de Ville". Pimp my ride!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home