Thursday, April 12, 2007

Mmmmmm, ham

Last week, the Notorious MBA and I went to the National Job Fair in Toronto. After having thoroughly perused their website, I had high hopes for what this event had to offer. I was looking forward to getting face time with a large number of corporate HR reps and wowing them with my leading-edge business card CDs. The CD label and resume contained within which were both designed by my artistically talented friend, Jalapeno. MBA was looking forward to speaking with the people from Australian Immigration, as the warm sunny climate would suit her just fine.

Alas, both of us were disappointed. Every person I tried to speak with about job opportunities would inevitably tell me to go look at their website. Look at your website? The whole point of this exercise was to have human contact. To get those extra dimensions you can't get just from submitting your resume online. Can't these jerks see I have personality, dammit?! Had I known it was going to be like this, I could have saved myself a trip out to the T-dot. Hell, I could have surfed the web looking for jobs and not even put on pants. I put on pants for this, people. This is a big deal here!

MBA's disappointment came when the Aussies told her they were only looking for people who wanted short-term employment down under, doing jobs such as picking fruit. Let me assure you, MBA, you are capable of doing more than just picking fruit.

On the bright side, I finally saw the Phantom of the Opera. Yes, I was the one who hadn't seen it. I learned that Phantom of the Opera = good, Phantom of the Opera while liquored up = better! I don't think the cast or audience liked it when I yelled out, "Hey! Where's all the singin' cats?!"

Eventually, I drove MBA back to our Nation's Capital and managed to get a few things crossed off on my to do list, such as getting my summer tires on my car, getting my mountain bike out of storage and even getting my bike tuned up for spring. We also saw the Adam Sandler/Don Cheadle movie "Reign Over Me", which was quite well done. Our favourite line of the film by far was, "That girl is crazy, with a side of crazy!"

I even got two Easter dinners out of the weekend. One at MBA's friend's house, and one back at home. For my money, you just can't have too much ham. Mmmmmm, ham.

RR

"Wake up, without a care. Your head's not heavy, conscience clear
Sins are all forgiven here, yours and mine
Fear has gone without a trace
It's the perfect time, it's the perfect place
Nothing hurting. Nothing sore. No one suffers anymore,
The doctor's found a simple cure.
Just in time

All these things if I were King would all appear around me
The world will sing when I am King
The world will sing when I am King"
- When I Am King, by Great Big Sea

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home